Tuesday, February 14, 2012

VEXING VALENTINE'S DAY

Let's RANT...

The signs are everywhere of yet another manufactured holiday.

First of all, Turner Classic Movies has rolled out, An Affair To Remember. A huge hint.

Valentine's Day has jumped from the calendar and upon my vexed-self.

Didn't we just finish up with Halloween, Christmas and ringing in a spanking New Year?

Don't get me wrong, I love exchanging fabulous cards with my LOV-AH and if he just happens to toss in something sparkly, even better.

But, I have NEVER enjoyed being told what to do and when to do it and I ESPECIALLY do NOT appreciate that love should be put on a heart-pedestal on February 14. Saint, please!

There is some fun to be observed though all the madness. Yep, as I tried to buy groceries at the nearby Publix super market around 11:00 a.m., it was difficult. Brimming over with frantic (panic-stricken) looking male types and a few of the other gender, I steered my cart through them, grateful not to be one of them. Not that I'm judging. Okay, a little bit.

Anyway, it was madness and at the same time hilarious to witness.

Men, loaded down with flowers, balloons, candy, cards and an assortment of wine or champagne were scurrying as if their lives depended upon these grocery store purchases. Maybe it does.

Let's RAVE...

Even though I don't care for manufactured love-fests, my guy gets a RAVE for being a big, loving Valentine...all the time.

Go ahead. Judge me. I deserve it for being sappy and YES, I got a fabulous card and something sparkly to wear. Judge ON!

Put your heartfelt comments on V-Day in the Comments section below!
Follow on Twitter, PalmBBarkerHowl

4 comments:

  1. Hallmark loves this day! Me, as I got older and had children, bless their little hearts, Valentine's Day was spent more for them than my sweet husband Charlie. Of course, he was loaded with the traditional stuff for me, he got a card. Then, came the grandkids and here we go again.

    My thought is just love me every day and don't just because it is suppose to be the day of love and you spend a fortune on 'stuff'. But, I will always accept anything that sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sparkle is good! Agreed, let's just show that we care on any regular day.

      Delete
  2. The best part is, we celebrate our love every day of the year, not when Hallmark says.

    ReplyDelete